Greetings from the Laser Fleet, at Portage Yacht Club, on Portage Lake. We hope that you’ll join us this season for some fun sailing, competitive racing, and great comradery.
- 2020 Spring Laser Fleet Update
- 2020 Drop-in Instruction
- The Sailboat Racing Social Membership has been instituted for those looking for a taste of racing at Portage Yacht Club on Tuesdays throughout the entire season. With optional memberships available for daily use and waterfront moorings.
- The new Laser Racing League Championship is set to get under way at Portage Yacht Club.
- A new Schools-out Series has been added which runs from June 4 thru August 20.
- The 6-week mid-season Invitational Laser Racing Series is planned for its second season.
- For a graphic presentation of the racing series dates click HERE.
- Weekly racing begins Tuesday evenings May 26 thru Sept 8 (called the Silver Series). Warning signal at 6:30. Multiple races are planned. With a weekly gathering following the racing at a local eatery/pub for post race discussion, etc.
- We operate with a base of 16 race evenings broken into 2 sub-series: Spring-Fall and School’s Out. We wrap up the season up with our fall No Sweat Regatta. All 5 in one Race Program/Series Fee.
- Our Laser Racing League is determined by the best 3 out of 4 series/regatta, with the Schools-out Series counting twice. Each 3 individually scored series offer prizes as well as the No Sweat. You can’t miss with this line-up.
- A sailor’s score for an evening with multiple races is the average of their race outcomes for that evening, and then ranked accordingly for that evening. Therefore if you miss an evening you just miss that evening as one did-not-start.
- Generally 66% seasonal participation qualifies a sailor for top prizes (1 evening for every 3 is discarded as a throw-out when a series is tallied, whether missed or worst score), unless an individual series/regatta notice-of-race modifies these conditions.
- Our fleet was established in the early 1970’s soon after the Laser was created, with weekly race participation at Portage Lake. Our annual fall No Sweat Regatta has been a tradition ever since. In the early years we’ve hosted as many as 60 Lasers at the No Sweat, in recent years about 20 attend.
Training and outreach:
- On any given evening on land, or on the water, just ask how or what could be done to tweak for greater speed or boat handling. We are ready to share tips that with practice can tame your Laser making it easier to handle and a maybe a bit faster.
- Fleet Roster
- Race Schedule
- Silver and Gold series race notice
- Silver and Gold series sailing Instructions
- Invitational Laser Racing Series
- Fall Regatta race notice
- Recommended Accessories and Specials
- Boating Links
We hope you’ll join us on the starting line this season.
Laser Fleet 330
Steve Wiseman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rick Lyons (email@example.com)