Greetings from the Open Fleet at Portage Yacht Club on Portage Lake.
Open Fleet history and status:
- Our sailboat racing activity here at Portage Lake started out as an Open Class organization back in the early 1950’s made up of cottage owners around the lake who enjoyed sailing. Since those early days the home base for the racing sailors has become Portage Yacht Club with several well established fleets. Other fleets have come and gone over the years, but we always have room for those looking to learn more about their boat, handle it better, and have fun while participating in the Open Class.
- As in any organization, flexibility is the key to success and we are set up to accommodate those who wish to participate assuming your boat will comfortably launch into the lake.
- Current boats in the Open Class Fleet are the Sunfish and MC Scow. Which race on the singlehanded Tuesday evening. For boats that require more than one person to sail it, we can accommodate those on Thursday evenings and/or Saturdays. Regardless of your boat class we’ll fit you into the action.
- In addition, any Class with keen enthusiasm and regular participation numbers that attain individual fleet status may elect to host an invitational regatta for their class.
- The Club is hosting a mid-summer Invitational Open Class Series held over 4 consecutive weeks on Saturdays in June. The race notice is on our website
- The Sailboat Racing Social Membership has been initiated for those looking for a taste of racing at Portage Yacht Club on Tuesdays, or Thursdays, or Saturdays throughout the entire season. Optional memberships are also available for daily use and waterfront moorings. Plus an option if you sail from your cottage on the lake.
- Single-handed boats: Weekly racing begins Tuesday evenings May 7 thru Sept 17 (called the Silver Series). Warning signal at 6:30. Multiple races are planned.
- Multi-handed boats: Thursday evenings May 9 thru Sept 19 (called the Silver Series). Warning signal at 7:00. We operate with a base of 20 race evenings broken into 2 sub-series of 10 evenings. Some mid-season evenings have multiple races.
- Multi-handed boats Weekends (mostly Saturdays) May 11 thru September 15 (called the Gold Series) split into a various series per the race notice. First warning signal at noon, second warning at 2pm.
We hope that you’ll join our Open Fleet this season for some competitive racing, simply fun sailing, and great comradery.
Contact the club office at: email@example.com