2022 marks the 69th season of sailboat racing at Portage Lake, Pinckney Michigan.
Portage Yacht Club (PYC) is one of the oldest sailing clubs in the state of Michigan. We have a proud tradition of competitive excellence in Michigan as well as Nationally. PYC members have won National and North American championships in several classes as well as prestigious US Sailing national championships. Besides this serious stuff, we have a lot of FUN and comradarie.
- We have three individual Weekly Racing Series; sailed on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturdays at noon. Our series are organized around smaller, single-handed boats, and larger multi-handed boats. Please see the Notice of Race, our invitation to you, and the Registration Form.
- We offer two short Invitational Regattas Regatta Series (single-handed , and multi-handed), in June, for those who would like to come to Portage Lake and sample our program.
- We organize Invitational Regattas for the Laser, Interlake, and Flying Scot classes where sailors around the State and Midwest come to challenge our local sailors.
We are interested in involving those that enjoy sailing but maybe not sailing right now. The Friends of PYC Sailing is an opportunity to participate in the fun from shore or volunteer to participate on the water helping to manage our weekly races. For more information we have:
- Fleet Pages where you can learn more about our Club, Fleet history and the boats sailed and raced on Portage Lake. Plus, you can connect with the leaders of these fleets;
- Instruction Links Page where you will find a huge assortment of instruction information that’s useful for beginning to experienced Sailors;
- Our “Mainsheet” Newsletter can be subscribed to which has wide ranging topics. Many racing tips found within and translate to a better day-sailing experience;
- We have a Frequently asked Questions page which should answer most.
|Rules||ISAF Racing Rules. Sailing Instructions will be available once approved.|
|Eligibility and Entry||Open to class-legal boats owned by or chartered to a PYC member, who must also be a member of US SAILING and the class association. US SAILING membership is included in your racing registration fees. Club membership requirements waived for first-year racers in the Silver and Gold Series. FEE SCHEDULE AND ENTRY FORMS AVAILABLE FROM THE CLUB OFFICE.|
|Fleets||Three entries required for fleet status.|
|Starting Order||Tuesday Series: Lasers, Open Class Thursday Series: All fleets start together Weekend Series: All fleets start together|
|2022 Dates||Tuesday Series||Spring/Fall:||May 24, 31; Jun 7; Aug 23, 30; Sep 6|
|School’s Out:||Jun 14, 21, 28; Jul 5, 12, 19, 26; Aug 2, 9, 16|
|Thursday Series||Spring:||May 26; Jun 2, 9, 16, 23, 30; Jul 7, 14|
|Summer:||Jul 21, 28; Aug 4, 11, 18, 25; Sep 1, 8|
|Weekend Series||Gold:||May 21; Jun 11, 25; Jul 16, 30; Aug 13, 27; Sep 4, 17|
|Commodore’s Cup||Sep 4, 5|
|Races||Tuesday Series||one or more short (approximately 30 minute) races|
|Thursday Series||one or more back-to-back races.|
|Weekend Series||three races with warning signal times as indicated below.|
|Warning Signal for the first race of the day||Tuesday Series||6:30 p.m. Subsequent races: Back-to-Back|
|Thursday Series||7:00 PM except 6:30 PM after Aug 11. Subsequent races: Back-to-Back|
|Weekend Series||Saturday First Race: 12:00 PM, Subsequent races: Back-to-Back
Sunday First Race: 1:00 PM, Subsequent races: Back-to-Back
|Other||Scoring, alternative penalties, prizes and other details are covered in the Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions. Questions, please contact the Club Office during regular office hours.|
Steve Wiseman Commodore
Brian Hawkins Past Commodore
Clark Chapin Secretary
Brook Smith Treasurer
Bill O’Donnel Governor
Jack White Chair Briefer – LB Summer Management Assignments
Brook Smith Vice Chair Scoring Briefer Gold May-Jun
Tom Ehman Permits and Documents
Clark Chapin Secretary Instruction – Race Rules
Bill O’Donnel Briefer Captain Briefer LB Spring
Marc Gleichert Interlake Fleet Captain
Brian Hawkins Briefer – Gold Jul-Aug Scot Fleet Captain
Steve Wiseman Briefer – SB Spring Laser Alt Fleet Captain
Rick Lyons Briefer – SB Summer
Laser Fleet Captain
Dave Moody Website Manager